Eleven years ago I entered the world of motherhood, and prepared as the first-born, first-time mom that I was about to become! I read the books, consulted the experts and committed to doing everything the "right" way.
My baby had a schedule. My baby was put to bed awake so he would learn to fall asleep without eating. My baby slept in his crib, in his own room.
And it was fine.
He was a happy baby, no harm done.
Fast forward eleven years to the present: now I can learn how to parent on youtube and pinterest. Week-by-week updates on my baby's development flood my inbox... and most of the time... I don't even bother to read them.
It's not that I feel wiser this time around. I by no means have all the answers! It's just that this time I simply don't care what the experts say.
Now my baby is in my arms constantly. He falls asleep with his head on my chest, and one tiny fist gripping the collar of my shirt. He has slept in my bedroom every single night, and I am savoring every soft sigh, every silent sleepy smile, every back-arching stretch.
If only I could freeze time. . . . because it just doesn't get any better than this.
It may not be "right" according to the books and the blogs, but it feels nothing short of perfect to me!
My baby had a schedule. My baby was put to bed awake so he would learn to fall asleep without eating. My baby slept in his crib, in his own room.
And it was fine.
He was a happy baby, no harm done.
Fast forward eleven years to the present: now I can learn how to parent on youtube and pinterest. Week-by-week updates on my baby's development flood my inbox... and most of the time... I don't even bother to read them.
It's not that I feel wiser this time around. I by no means have all the answers! It's just that this time I simply don't care what the experts say.
Now my baby is in my arms constantly. He falls asleep with his head on my chest, and one tiny fist gripping the collar of my shirt. He has slept in my bedroom every single night, and I am savoring every soft sigh, every silent sleepy smile, every back-arching stretch.
If only I could freeze time. . . . because it just doesn't get any better than this.
It may not be "right" according to the books and the blogs, but it feels nothing short of perfect to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment